Unblock Infomir/MAG Portal blocking

Vasqure

VIP
17 jan 2018
Na alle verhalen die de ronde gaan over de Portal blocking van infomir ben ik zelf wat research gaan doen en op het onderstaande artikel uitgekomen:

I've spent the last few days digging around with Wireshark + custom firmware to see how this was working, and it turns out it's quite simple and can be removed from all current firmware on all models that I've tested (250/254/256/322/324)

We could, as people currently are, keep changing portal URLs - but this is not sustainable and as the box is phoning home on every boot, is more than likely just making it easier for Infomir to just re-block on the next wave of updates to the blacklist.

At boot the box performs the following:

• DNS lookup for NTP server
  • Contact all NTP Servers found
  • Executes the script /etc/rc.d/rcS.d/S98stbapp (which then launches stbapp - the browser that displays your portal)
  • DNS lookup for mag???.dcbs.infomir.com
  • Encrypted communication with mag???.dcbs.infomir.com
  • Saves result of this communication as
    /mnt/Userfs/data/dls.backup
  • Displays portal selection page
  • If portal is blocked, it then loads and displays the error message (which is stored in the javascript for the Inner Portal - so we can edit this if we choose)
  • Otherwise load portal as normal
Once dls.backup is stored in the box, it will continue to block all currently known portals on the blacklist even if Infomir's server is unreachable. /mnt/Userfs is not wiped on firmware restore either, so it will persist between versions unless we wipe it.

This means we have two tasks to perform:

• Patch stbapp OR the hosts file to block the blacklist server
  • Erase dls.backup to prevent cached lookups
Personally I favour patching stbapp, as this ensures it's impossible for it to somehow slip through (since it'll be looking for the wrong server.) But in the current firmware versions both methods seem effective.

Both of theses tasks CAN be done by hand, but the easiest way (especially for larger providers) is to build a custom firmware that users can just load from a USB that will both patch the problem and prevent Infomir from pushing any more automatic updates to that box.

For those comfortable making the change and would rather do it themselves the details are below. If people need them, I can build patched firmware for the boxes that people need, but won't have the time to build and upload them before probably Sunday evening. (Pending recommendations of a good anonymous file host)

To edit the hosts file (/etc/hosts) add the following line
(replace mag324 with the correct model for you):
12.0.0.1 mag324.dcbs.infomir.com

To patch stbapp, open /usr/local/share/app/stbapp in a HEX editor, search for
dcbs.infomir.com

and make ANY change to the domain name (without changing the length AT ALL)

Finally to ensure that the dls.backup will be deleted after flashing your custom firmware than add the following line to /mnt/Userfs/data/dls.backup before the line that launches stbapp:
rm /mnt/Userfs/data/dls.backup

If all the above has been done correctly, then all previously blocked portals will now be accessible again, and no future blocks will have any effect either.

Custom firmware: voor de mag: 250,254,256,322,324
Link Zippy:
Link Mega:
OneDrive:

Custom firmware is ready to download and use :)
Will preserve portal settings, but disables the block and prevents any remote updates from Infomir's servers.

(Thanks to both and for helping me find blocked portals to test my patches with)
Thank you very much for the Gold, I appreciate it :)

Source:
You must be registered for see medias

Links geupdate.
One drive link toegevoegd.

Voor de admins: Mocht dit niet mogen verwijder vooral me post, het enige wat er eigenlijk instaat is een custom firmware en is volgens mij niet verboden.

Laatst bewerkt:
Na alle verhalen die de ronde gaan over de Portal blocking van infomir ben ik zelf wat research gaan doen en op het onderstaande artikel uitgekomen:

I've spent the last few days digging around with Wireshark + custom firmware to see how this was working, and it turns out it's quite simple and can be removed from all current firmware on all models that I've tested (250/254/256/322/324)

We could, as people currently are, keep changing portal URLs - but this is not sustainable and as the box is phoning home on every boot, is more than likely just making it easier for Infomir to just re-block on the next wave of updates to the blacklist.

At boot the box performs the following:

• DNS lookup for NTP server
  • Contact all NTP Servers found
  • Executes the script /etc/rc.d/rcS.d/S98stbapp (which then launches stbapp - the browser that displays your portal)
  • DNS lookup for mag???.dcbs.infomir.com
  • Encrypted communication with mag???.dcbs.infomir.com
  • Saves result of this communication as
    /mnt/Userfs/data/dls.backup
  • Displays portal selection page
  • If portal is blocked, it then loads and displays the error message (which is stored in the javascript for the Inner Portal - so we can edit this if we choose)
  • Otherwise load portal as normal
Once dls.backup is stored in the box, it will continue to block all currently known portals on the blacklist even if Infomir's server is unreachable. /mnt/Userfs is not wiped on firmware restore either, so it will persist between versions unless we wipe it.

This means we have two tasks to perform:

• Patch stbapp OR the hosts file to block the blacklist server
  • Erase dls.backup to prevent cached lookups
Personally I favour patching stbapp, as this ensures it's impossible for it to somehow slip through (since it'll be looking for the wrong server.) But in the current firmware versions both methods seem effective.

Both of theses tasks CAN be done by hand, but the easiest way (especially for larger providers) is to build a custom firmware that users can just load from a USB that will both patch the problem and prevent Infomir from pushing any more automatic updates to that box.

For those comfortable making the change and would rather do it themselves the details are below. If people need them, I can build patched firmware for the boxes that people need, but won't have the time to build and upload them before probably Sunday evening. (Pending recommendations of a good anonymous file host)

To edit the hosts file (/etc/hosts) add the following line
(replace mag324 with the correct model for you):

To patch stbapp, open /usr/local/share/app/stbapp in a HEX editor, search for

and make ANY change to the domain name (without changing the length AT ALL)

Finally to ensure that the dls.backup will be deleted after flashing your custom firmware than add the following line to /mnt/Userfs/data/dls.backup before the line that launches stbapp:

If all the above has been done correctly, then all previously blocked portals will now be accessible again, and no future blocks will have any effect either.

Custom firmware: voor de mag: 250,254,256,322,324
Link Zippy:
Link Mega:
Custom firmware is ready to download and use :)
Will preserve portal settings, but disables the block and prevents any remote updates from Infomir's servers.

(Thanks to both and for helping me find blocked portals to test my patches with)
Thank you very much for the Gold, I appreciate it :)

Source:
You must be registered for see medias

Voor de admins: Mocht dit niet mogen verwijder vooral me post, het enige wat er eigenlijk instaat is een custom firmware en is volgens mij niet verboden.
Bestaat daar een NL versie van? Is technisch al moeilijk genoeg - ik snap er geen fluit van. Maar zit wel met hetzelfde probleeem.

Links naar de firmware helaas overleden...

Link is ge-update zal straks nog een link erbij plaatsen.
Post automatically merged:

Bestaat daar een NL versie van? Is technisch al moeilijk genoeg - ik snap er geen fluit van. Maar zit wel met hetzelfde probleeem.

Ik heb er geen NL versie van komt erop neer dat je je firmware update met een custom firmware die de portal blocks tegen gaat.
Ik heb de firmware zelf niet gemaakt maar zag een reddit post voorbij komen over dit probleem en daarbij hadden mensen custom firmware's gemaakt.

Laatst bewerkt:
Is het al iemand gelukt om de Mag351 te unblocken , ik heb alles geprobeerd ... factory default.... alle firnware versies die ik kon vinden op het net erop gehad ... versie 2.19.00 rc1...2.20.00 ... unblock firmware .. de unblock firmware voor de 351 geeft wrong signature... geprobeerd via bios en portal .. maar alles zonder succes... mijn Mag351 blijft weergeven your STB is blocked call the provider.

een goed versie unblocked firmware is niet te vinden , als iemand het heeft kan die dat dan PM -en

thanx ..

Ikwilde even reageren ik was in het bezit van een mag 254 deze gaf op het laatst nog maar een kwartiertje beeld van alles geprobeerd mocht niet baten ik heb afscheid van hem genomen. En nu in het bezit van een formuler z8 die zonder hapering en supersnel beeld en geluid geeft de mag komt er hier niet meer in met hun automatische update en dan provider Blokkeren niet meer kopen dat ding

Ik moest dit effe kwijt. Mvg harry

Hoi. Ik probeer de firmware te updaten via USB. Gaat goed tot de mag 256 begint met updaten. Balk met update percentage verschijnt. Helaas op dat moment krijg ik de melding " wrong signature". Herkend iemand dit of is er een andere firmware dan nummer 299.